Friday, September 12, 2008

Ninth Grade is Over

I just saw a clip of the first interview Sarah Palin has done since being chosen as McCain's running mate. Everything I've been hearing about how inexperienced she is... this interview didn't really help to settle those questions. There were a couple times when you could tell she has absolutely no idea what the interviewer was talking about. I felt awkward for her.


One time in high school (ok, let's be honest... LOTS of times), I hadn't finished an assignment... I think I was supposed to have read a book for class. I remember the teacher called on me and asked a question about the title character of the book. I remember how intensely embarrassed I was; I remember stammering and stuttering and finally mumbling some BS that I had read on the back cover synopsis of the book. I remember how obvious it was that I hadn't read it. All those feelings came rushing back to me as I listened to Palin stumble her way through this interview.



Charlie Gibson of ABC News: Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine?
Sarah Palin: (long pause, fidgeting, etc.)... In what respect, Charlie?
Gibson: Well, what do you interpret it to be?
Palin: .... .....His worldview.
Gibson: The Bush Doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war.
Palin: I believe that what President Bush has attempted to do is rid this world of Islamic extremism. Terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our nation…
Gibson: The Bush Doctrine, as I understand it, is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense, that we have the right to a preemptive strike against any other country that we think is going to attack us. Do you agree with that?
Palin: Charlie, if there is legitimate and enough intelligence that tells us that a strike is imminent against American people, we have every right to defend our country.


You know her handlers are backstage freaking out the whole time.
"Crap, crap crap! Didn't anyone explain our foreign policy to this woman?"
"NO, we thought you did!"
"Well, I thought YOU were going to!"
"Epic Crap."

.

7 comments:

StephenH said...

Can you put in a link to the video?

StephenH said...

Sarah Palin in Charlie Rose Green Room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZlWnCcBFpo&feature=user

RachelRenae said...

Actually, that's not the video I watched. The interview was with Charles Gibson (not Charlie Rose)of ABC News- if you search for both their names on Youtube you can find the clips. They're doing 3 installments.

Amy said...

Wow. Both funny and scary, but really more scary. I'll have to watch the video.

Amy said...

Wow, I really don't like her. She doesn't seem to be very good at answering questions directly.

suzanne cabrera said...

Eeeeek...talk about uncomfortable.

j.matson said...

K, not to be politically biased, but I think that the democrats would have to sleep through the election to allow another republican to be elected. Not that that is good or bad, just, you know, sayin. I was, by the way, shocked at the interest in American politics over here! People argue with you about who you support, and I'm like"Um... ok, but it's not your freaking country! Good thing I actually get a asy in who to support!" Grrr.